Jul 26, 2016
Psychology professor and author Dr. Brant Cortright is our guest today in Episode 1136 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
Only recently has it been discovered that the brain produces new brain cells throughout our entire lives. This process of the rate of new brain cell growth is known by scientists as neurogenesis and it has a profound influence upon every aspect of our life. When the rate of neurogenesis is low, we see cognitive deficits and memory problems such as anxiety and stress, depression, and lowered immunity. In other words, it makes living your life very difficult. But with high rates of neurogenesis we see exactly the opposite: enhanced cognitive abilities, rapid learning, emotional resilience, protection from anxiety, stress and depression, a heightened immunity and robust health. The brain just works better. This is something a Professor of Psychology at California Institute of Integral Studies, brain health consultant, and author Dr. Brant Cortright from BrantCortright.com who has become enamored with nutrition and lifestyle changes that will increase neurogenesis. Dr. Cortright has outlined 4-point program for doing exactly that in his compelling new book The Neurogenesis Diet and Lifestyle: Upgrade Your Brain, Upgrade Your Life.
Listen in as Jimmy and Dr. Cortright discuss the process of neurogenesis, what we are doing in our diet and lifestyle that significantly lowers the rate of brain cell growth, the massive effects of lowering and increasing neurogenesis, why a ketogenic diet is an extraordinary lifestyle shift in boosting brain cell growth, Dr. Cortright's experience using nutritional ketosis for better brain power, a fascinating new study on how exercise boosts ketone levels which promotes the expression of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), and so much more! If you care about your brain health and want to learn more about why and how to maintain a robust cranium, then this is one interview you won't want to miss.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 1136
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get the low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic-friendly Pili Nuts (Get 10% off your order with coupon code "LLVLC")
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get the world's first and best low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic bars at GetAdaptBars.com
- Get your FREE jar of Nutiva Coconut Oil from Thrive Market
- Dr. Brant Cortright bio
- The Neurogenesis Diet and Lifestyle: Upgrade Your Brain, Upgrade Your Life
- Exercise promotes the expression of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) through the action of the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate
- VIDEO: Dr. Brant Cortright: "The Neurogenesis Diet" | Talks at Google