Sep 9, 2013
Ancestral diet researcher and author Dr. Loren Cordain is our interview guest today in Episode 722 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
We're back to our regular interview format again after three weeks of special Cholesterol Clarity-inspired episodes highlighting a few of the featured experts in Jimmy Moore's new book. And we come back with a bang today featuring a very enlightening conversation with the man at the heart of a recent controversy that has been all the talk in the Paleo community over the past couple of months. He is Dr. Loren Cordain, the world-famous Colorado State University professor, evolutionary diet researcher and bestselling author of The Paleo Diet, and he is here to defend the diet he has helped put on the map over the past two decades.
The dust-up all began a few months back when The Weston A. Price Foundation President Sally Fallon Morell published some rather incendiary remarks about Dr. Cordain's version of Paleo in the Summer 2013 issue of the Wise Traditions newsletter where she was answering WAPF member concerns about the differences between the diet they espouse and the Paleo diet promoted by people like Dr. Cordain and Robb Wolf. Jimmy invited Sally to appear on this podcast last month to give her an opportunity to expand upon her comments and she did so in Episode 711 sharing her sincere concerns with the lack of animal-based fats contained on the most popular Paleo diet web sites found in the top Google searches for this term (which happens to be the ones run by Dr. Cordain and Wolf). Now we give Dr. Cordain a chance to weigh in on what Sally had to say.
Listen to Jimmy and Dr. Cordain talk about what he thinks about Morell's criticisms, how he changed his mind about lean meats and revised his original book to reflect this, the clear support he has stated over and over again for saturated fat, the natural macronutrient make-up of our hunter-gatherer ancestors, his concern about the lack of scientific credentials by Morell, and a whole lot more! If you've been following this issue in the Paleo blogosphere, then you won't want to miss Dr. Cordain's exclusive response to the concerns expressed by the President of The Weston A. Price Foundation. Get the rest of the story from the man himself in today's episode.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 722
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get grass-fed beef, pastured pork, pastured chicken and pastured turkey from Tendergrass Farms
- Dr. Loren Cordain bio
- 2010 updated version of The Paleo Diet Revised: Lose Weight and Get Healthy by Eating the Foods You Were Designed to Eat
- The Paleo Answer: 7 Days to Lose Weight, Feel Great, Stay Young
- The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
- All of Dr. Cordain's research papers on the Paleo diet
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #711: Sally Fallon Morrell Says Paleo Unnecessarily Promotes A Low-Fat Diet
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #556: Professor Loren Cordain Introduces Antinutrient Foods In ‘The Paleo Answer’
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #449: Paleo Extravaganza Week: Dr. Loren Cordain
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #247: Dr. Loren Cordain’s ‘Paleo Diet’ Is The Original Low-Carb Diet