Apr 2, 2014
Neurobiologist, obesity researcher, author and lecturer Dr. Stephan Guyenet, PhD is our guest today for this LLVLC Show Classic from our golden archives in Episode 801 of "The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show."
In today's LLVLC Show Classic episode, we're so happy to present to you one of the great unsung heroes in the Paleo community in University of Washington neurobiologist and nutritional health expert Dr. Stephan Guyenet from the “Whole Health Source” blog. He has been one of the leading voices of the science supporting the consumption of healthy fats and traditional Paleolithic types of diets. Since the original airing of this interview with Jimmy, Dr. Guyenet has become most famous for promoting the idea of "food reward" in obesity and in 2013 joined forces with Dan Pardi from "Dan's Plan" on a weight and health effort called the Ideal Weight Program.
Listen in to hear Jimmy and Dr. Guyenet discuss how and why he got interested in the subject of health, where he sees the Paleo and low-carb movement going in the future, his thinking about the perception of sugar versus fat in American culture, how MSG mimics sugar in the body, why grains respond different in some people than others, why grinding, soaking, and fermenting grains is so important if you are going to consume them, why eating a 100% whole grain bread is unnatural, why the calorie theory is not as relevant to body fat regulation as we’ve been led to believe, how your body will defend a “set point” where it wants to keep your body weight at, the role of leptin resistance in growing fat mass, producing hunger, and slowing calorie-burning, why insulin is not as critical as leptin, the positive role of gut flora and bacteria in the body, why the polymer oligofructose (a form of inulin) promotes fat loss, the exercise component in fat loss and a healthy lifestyle, why sprints and circuit training is most effective for increasing insulin sensitivity and reducing body fat, the impact of Gary Taubes’ Good Calories Bad Calories, the distinction between a heart attack, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease, the rise and fall in cigarette smoking correlating with heart disease, the public confusion about what living healthy is all about, and so much more. As you can tell from this LLVLC Show Classic interview, Dr. Stephan Guyenet is a very intelligent voice of reason in the pursuit of weight loss and optimizing health.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 801
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Cookies & Cream Quest Protein Bar
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The Great Low Carb Bread Company's Paleo Bagels, Buns, and Muffins
- Dr. Stephan Guyenet bio
- Dr. Guyenet's "Whole Health Source" blog
- Dr. Stephan Guyenet on Twitter
- Dr. Stephan Guyenet on Facebook
- Dr. Stephan Guyenet on LinkedIn
- Slides from AHS13 Lecture: Insulin and Obesity: Reconciling Conflicting Evidence
- VIDEO: Why Do We Overeat? A Neurobiological Perspective
- VIDEO: AHS11 Lecture - Obesity: Old Solutions for a New Problem
- VIDEO: TEDxHarvardLaw - Stephan Guyenet - The American Diet
- GUEST ARTICLE by Dr. Guyenet in February 2012 in PCC Natural Markets: Paleolithic diets: Should we eat like our ancestors?