Apr 16, 2014
Neuroendocrinologist, anti-sugar crusader, and New York Times bestselling author Dr. Robert Lustig is our special guest today in this LLVLC Show Classic from our golden archives in Episode 807 of "The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show."
Today's LLVLC Show Classic episode guest is someone who initially told Jimmy Moore he didn't want to be on the podcast when he was asked. But thanks to Jimmy's fellow health podcaster Sean Croxton from "Underground Wellness" who told University of California San Francisco professor of pediatrics Dr. Robert Lustig that Jimmy's show is open-minded and honest in his interviews, he agreed to be on this podcast. At the time, his infamous viral YouTube video lecture "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" was all the rage. In 2014, that video is still going strong at 6.5+ million views and counting. And the conversations Jimmy had was such a hit that he was back for another interview soon thereafter before the release of his bestselling books Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease and Fat Chance Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes Ready in Under 30 Minutes to Help You Lose the Sugar and the Weight.
Listen in as Jimmy and Dr. Lustig discuss why he thinks a total "low-carb" approach misses the boat, why the vagus (or pneumogastric) nerve and insulin metabolism are forcing us to store more fat and be less active, the results of his studies that show fructose is metabolized more like alcohol than glucose, and therefore contributes to liver damage, and a whole lot more. These back-to-back interviews aired long before the world knew who Dr. Robert Lustig was, so enjoy this very special LLVLC Show Classic episode with the man himself.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 807
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Join Jimmy Moore's Livin' Low-Carb Meal Plan
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The Great Low Carb Bread Company's Paleo Bagels, Buns, and Muffins
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Cookies & Cream Quest Protein Bar
- Dr. Robert Lustig bio
- VIDEO: Dr. Robert Lustig's viral YouTube lecture "Sugar: The Bitter Truth"
- Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease
- Fat Chance Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes Ready in Under 30 Minutes to Help You Lose the Sugar and the Weight
- Dr. Lustig on Facebook
- Dr. Lustig on Twitter
- Institute For Responsible Nutrition
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #640: Dr. Robert Lustig Takes On Big Food With FAT CHANCE