Sep 15, 2014
Medical biophysicist, health blogger and podcaster, and New York Times bestselling author Dr. Sarah Ballantyne is our interview guest today in Episode 868 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
After spending the past few weeks sharing interviews with the various experts featured in Jimmy Moore's new book Keto Clarity, we're back to our regular podcast schedule again and we welcome in someone who Jimmy first featured back in Episode 589 when she was just getting her name out there in the Paleo health blogosphere. Her name is Dr. Sarah Ballantyne, PhD who has quite the story to tell about how she got into looking at the role of nutrition as a major play in optimizing health. She spent four years conducting research on innate immunity and inflammation, but decided to become a stay-at-home mom to raise her family. It was during this time at home that Sarah discovered she was dealing with an autoimmune inflammatory skin condition known as Lichen Planus as well as irritable bowel syndrome and allergies and that's when she turned to the Paleo diet which helped her heal these conditions and set her on the path to becoming the author of two books on the subject: her New York Times bestseller from early 2014 called The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body and her brand new companion book of recipes entitled The Paleo Approach Cookbook: A Detailed Guide to Heal Your Body and Nourish Your Soul.
If you watch the above video from the 2014 Ancestral Health Symposium (#AHS14) that took place in Berkeley, California in August, then you will see the presentation that instigated Jimmy to invite Sarah on to the show for an interview. During that lecture she conducted with Stacy Toth from the "Paleo Parents" blog, there were claims made about low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diets that were less-than-flattering about this way of eating. Because we like to have conversations about nutrition and health here at "The Livin' La Vida Low-Carb Show" podcast, Jimmy invited her on to state her case so that the listeners could then decide whether or not her points were valid. Listen in as Jimmy and Sarah talk about the moment she found out her book hit the New York Times bestsellers list for the first time, her primary objections for women, especially of childbearing age, to be reducing their carbohydrate intake, her concerns about thyroid and gut health without the use of carbohydrates, the layout of the recipes in her new book, and a whole lot more! Because Jimmy and Sarah are friends, this is a friendly yet super-engaging debate of ideas you won't want to miss.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 868
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Check out Katie's Keep It Real Food Co. grain-free, low-carb snacks
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Low-carb Paleo beef jerky from Primal Pacs
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get Dr. David Perlmutter's FREE newsletter, videos, and high-quality supplements
- Dr. Sarah Ballantyne bio
- The Paleo Approach Cookbook: A Detailed Guide to Heal Your Body and Nourish Your Soul
- The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
- #AHS14 VIDEO: "Ancestral Health for Women" by Dr. Sarah Ballantyne and Stacy Toth
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #803: Guest Hosts Sarah Ballantyne and Stacy Toth Offer Up ‘The Paleo Approach’
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #589: Scientist-Turned-Stay-At-Home ‘Paleo Mom’ Sarah Ballantyne
- RELATED PODCAST: Low-Carb Conversations #41: Joey Cardillo And Sarah Ballantyne Discuss The Merits Of Meat