Sep 16, 2014
Holistic Nutritionist, Functional Medicine Practitioner, and Traditional Oriental Medicine Practitioner Jamie Koonce is our interview guest today Episode 869 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
After hearing all the negative comments about low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diets in the Paleo blogosphere lately, our host Jimmy Moore penned a blog post about it last week entitled "7 Lingering Myths Everyone Should Know About Low-Carb Ketogenic Diets." As we heard in Episode 868 yesterday from Paleo blogger, podcaster, and author Dr. Sarah Ballantyne, there are very real concerns being expressed from people in the Paleo community about the use of nutritional ketosis as a means for optimizing health. But this hasn't sat well with a Licensed Acupuncturist, Herbalist, Functional Medicine Doctor, Certified Personal Trainer, and Health Coach named Jamie Koonce.
Here's that e-mail that Jamie sent to Jimmy recently about this:
I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the prevailing dogma in the Paleo community that women need more carbohydrates than men and should avoid ketosis and intermittent fasting. These claims don't seem to be backed up by any research. (At least I'm not finding it.) After listening to a few talks from the Ancestral Health Symposium at Berkeley, I am fed up with the baseless claims and would like to respond on your podcast if you're game.
Listen in to hear Jimmy and Jamie take on the most common criticisms hurled at low-carb, high-fat, ketogenic diets from a select segment of the Paleo community. If you've become concerned about what you hearing about nutritional ketosis and that has made you scared to even try eating this way to get healthy, then this is the podcast for you. ENJOY!
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 869
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Try the many flavors of products from Quest Nutrition
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get the Ketonix breath ketone analyzer from Ketonix.com or on Amazon.com in the STANDARD or SPORT edition
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Try all three flavors of the new Quest Protein Chips (Sea Salt, Cheddar & Sour Cream, and BBQ)
- Jamie Koonce bio
- Jamie's "Revolutionary Healthcare" blog
- RELATED BLOG POST: 7 Lingering Myths Everyone Should Know About Low-Carb Ketogenic Diets
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #868: Dr. Sarah Ballantyne Challenges The Wisdom Of Low-Carb Diets For Women