Feb 26, 2014
Physician and ketogenic diet advocate for epilepsy Dr. Deborah Snyder and low-carb, ketogenic diet researcher Dr. Eric Kossoff are our guests today for this LLVLC Show Classic from our golden archives in Episode 786 of "The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show."
It's Wednesday again and you know what that means while Jimmy has been away writing his next book, Keto Clarity. We've enjoyed featuring these LLVLC Show Classic episodes from deep within our golden archives of hundreds of health-enriching conversations Jimmy has had with various people over the years. Today we have a special double-feature for you on the topic of ketogenic diets and epilepsy. The first interview features Dr. Deborah Snyder, author of Keto Kid: Helping Your Child Succeed on the Ketogenic Diet, whose son Bryce was cured of epilepsy after going on a two-year stint following a low-carb, ketogenic diet. Although ketosis has long been known as an effective therapy for controlling seizures, it's people like Dr. Snyder and the work of The Charlie Foundation who have helped to promote this cutting-edge, science-based treatment and the positive effects it is having on epileptic children.
Then in the second interview, we have a legendary epilepsy specialist and Johns Hopkins researcher named Dr. Eric Kossoff, author of Ketogenic Diets: Treatments For Epilepsy And Other Disorders. Do not miss this exciting chat that Jimmy had with Dr. Kossoff about his "modified Atkins diet" as a treatment for epilepsy. Listen in as they discuss other illnesses that could stand to benefit from a ketogenic diet, how to make a 5 grams of carbs daily diet work for a kid, and so much more!
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 786
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: NEW Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Protein Bars
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Leaner Living's new K2/K3 Combo supplement
- Keto Kid: Helping Your Child Succeed on the Ketogenic Diet
- VIDEO: Dr. Snyder addressing the 2008 International Symposium on Dietary Therapy for Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders symposium about ketogenic diets for seizure control
- The Charlie Foundation: Helping Cure Epilepsy Through The Ketogenic Diet
- Epilepsy Moms interview with Dr. Snyder
- Dr. Eric Kossoff bio
- The Johns Hopkins Epilepsy Center
- Ketogenic Diets: Treatments For Epilepsy And Other Disorders
- Dr. Kossoff's Ketogenic Monthly News Feature
- VIDEO: Dr. Kossoff's 2010 Ketogenic Therapy talk in Toronto