Mar 19, 2014
Duke University low-carb researcher and practitioner Dr. Eric Westman is our guest today for this LLVLC Show Classic from our golden archives in Episode 795 of "The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show."
We've had on a lot of the great guests over the years on this podcast as Jimmy has connected with so many fantastic medical doctors, researchers, authors and more. And today's LLVLC Show Classic episode features someone who falls into all of those categories and more. He's an internist from Durham, North Carolina named Dr. Eric Westman and he certainly needs no introduction to the low-carb community. Dr. Westman is arguably the #1 low-carb diet expert in the world today publishing dozens of research papers on the positive health benefits of carbohydrate restriction and ketogenic diets. He's the current President of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (ASBP) for 2014-2015 and was one of the coauthors on the 2010 New York Times bestselling book The New Atkins For A New You. These days he is helping patients with obesity, diabetes, and other chronic health conditions with a low-carb, high-fat diet.
Long before he was on the front cover of Woman's World Magazine in January 2014, giving lectures on The Low-Carb Cruise, or coauthoring the books Cholesterol Clarity and Keto Clarity with our host Jimmy Moore, he was sharing his thoughts about the role of low-carb diets in health on this show. Listen in as you'll hear back-to-back interviews with Dr. Westman. First up is one of Jimmy's very first interviews ever from many years ago when he attended an ASBP conference with Dr. Westman and a bunch of obesity medicine doctors in Nashville, Tennessee. Then we'll hear all about the latest version of the Atkins diet that Dr. Westman collaborated with Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek on in 2010. This was the beginning of the messaging of the low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat, ketogenic diet in earnest that has become increasingly popular in the years that have followed. If you're not familiar with the great work of Dr. Eric Westman, meet the man at the heart of promoting the latest low-carb science.
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 791
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get Wheat Belly and low-carb friendly foods from the "Wheat-Free Market"
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Double Chocolate Chunk Quest Protein Bars
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The Great Low Carb Bread Company's Paleo Bagels, Buns, and Muffins
- Dr. Eric Westman bio
- The American Society of Bariatric Physicians
- New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
- A Low Carbohydrate, Ketogenic Diet Manual: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
- Cholesterol Clarity: What The HDL Is Wrong With My Numbers?
- Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
- VIDEO: Dr. Eric Westman from Duke University New Atkins Ketogenic Diet for Weight Loss and Health
- How To Keto (aka Dr. Westman's infamous "Page 4")
- Notable Westman studies published in 2003, 2004, 2006, and 2008
- RELATED BLOG POST: 2012 Low-Carb Cruise Lecture: Dr. Eric Westman
- RELATED BLOG POST: Dr. Eric Westman Boosts Ketogenic Diet In January 2014 Woman’s World
- RELATED PODCAST: Ask The Low-Carb Experts #43: Jimmy Moore & Dr. Eric Westman | Cholesterol Clarity Q&A
- RELATED PODCAST: Ask The Low-Carb Experts #15: Exploding The Low-Carb Myths | Dr. Eric Westman