Mar 25, 2014
Clinical professor of internal medicine, researcher, progressive MS overcomer, and author Dr. Terry Wahls is our special guest host in Episode 797 of "The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show."
What a delightful guest host we have for you today in the truly remarkable Dr. Terry Wahls, MD who has developed an integrative approach to healing chronic autoimmune conditions after overcoming a relapsing, remitting progressive multiple sclerosis (MS) in 2000 that had her taking chemotherapy and confined to a tilt-reclined wheelchair to now thriving thanks to some basic nutritional changes she made based on Paleo and low-carb diet principles (listen to Jimmy's previous interviews with Dr. Wahls to hear her full story in Episode 533 and Episode 637).
Needless to say, Dr. Wahls' inspiring story quickly gained overnight fame, especially after her November 2011 "Minding Your Mitochondria" TEDx video went viral and now has in excess of 1.6 million views on YouTube and counting. This caught the attention of a publisher who asked her to write a book about the therapy she has been using personally and researching for other multiple sclerosis sufferers called The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine.
Dr. Wahls is interviewed by a University of Iowa master's degree student named Brooke Blazevich who has a bachelor's degree in Dietetics from Western Illinois University. Ever since she heard about the story of Dr. Wahls overcoming MS, Brooke has become a big fan of her work to help others dealing with various autoimmune issues that could be improved through the implementation of a nutrient-rich diet. Listen in as Brooke and Dr. Wahls share her story, how and why she designed her diet with 3 (beginner, intermediate, advanced) levels to choose from, how this diet takes the idea of "healthy eating" to a new level, the rhyme and reason of Dr. Wahls Food Pyramid, the recipes, grocery lists, and cooking tips that are shared in her book, and more.
Here are the key points discussed during this podcast:
- The importance of food as medicine
- Overview of symptoms and number of people affected by MS
- Why mitochondria are essential to people with MS
- Brief overview of what the Wahls Protocol is
- Review of ketosis
- Challenge of achieving both ketosis and a nutrient dense diet
- How nutrient-dense ketogenic diets heal the brain
This is one of the most awe-inspiring podcasts we've ever aired and one you won't soon forget! ENJOY!
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 797
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get Wheat Belly and low-carb friendly foods from the "Wheat-Free Market"
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Get the brand new Dark Chocolate Orange ChocoPerfection Bars
- Dr. Terry Wahls bio
- The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine
- Dr. Terry Wahl's blog
- VIDEO: Minding Your Mitochondria: Dr. Terry Wahls at TEDxIowaCity
- Dr. Wahls on Twitter
- Dr. Wahls on Facebook
- Dr. Terry Wahls on YouTube
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #533: Dr. Terry Wahls Uses The Paleo Diet To Heal Her Body From Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #637: Encore Week 2013 – Dr. Terry Wahls